raven

raven

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lots of projects, so little money...

I must say how proud I am about all of my crafty abilities. I have taken on so much interest in how to make stuff,and it really has paid off. I paint, sew, do general crafting, turn thrift into fab, etc. I grew up with the principle of being savvy drilled into my head. They always said, necessity is the mother of invention. So, if I couldn't afford it or find it, I have made it. 

The biggest obstacle of crafting, especially of picking up a new interest, is the initial investment cost. All the supplies, the shipping, the packaging, etc. Right now I am looking at starting my own small small small line of skin care. Starting with facial care, I want to do natural serums and remedies. They are fairly simple once you learn the integumentary system and how/which natural products work best. However, first things first I need to come up with a recipe. I have plenty of people willing to test it out for me and give me feedback on the formula. Then, its buying more product, packaging, labels, shipping stuff, etc. Putting on a new product is really a pain sometimes. 

One product, I am halfway through getting ready to sell. I already have the packaging and shipping products. Sewing machine is in the shop as of today, so once that puppy is fixed, I can start. Now all I need...is the synthetic hair. Yes, extensions! Anywhere from streaks to full sets. No one thinks to make them from scratch. Bulk hair, depending on whether you get natural or synthetic, can be inexpensive. Then, you just have to know how the heck to sew it together, which is also simple. For me, I will be using a special kind of synthetic. It can withstand up to 400 degrees with hot tools, the color is part of the fiber, so it will never fade, and it has a much more natural sheen and feel. I don't like the idea of using natural human hair. I don't know whats been on that, whats been done to it, and to me its kinda strikingly similar to wearing a fur coat.....oh yea, I totally just made that comparison. I think its just gross, mainly for hygiene reasons.

Anyway, here I was getting all excited when I got paid, but then realizing if I just fix my machine (which was the most sensible since I have alot to do) that I have enough left for....well, just bills really. Its whatever, that's how things are right now. I'm pretty excited to get my machine fixed though, I have soooooo many things I want to make, not just extensions. 

Its getting late. I had best get to bed. I hate waking up early in the morning. I would much rather wake up late and stay up late. I know you are getting the same amount of sleep, but still. Anyhoo, may goth be with you!! lol

 

No comments:

Post a Comment